To help contain the spread of COVID-19, for the safety of our community and our staff, Poudre Fire Authority has temporarily closed our Administration and Fire Prevention Bureau offices at 102 Remington Street. We are still performing plan reviews to make sure that we can get permits to people who have applied. But our timelines for review are going to be longer than they have been in the past. If you have any questions, please call 970-416-2891. We truly apologize for any inconvenience.
To obtain a required tent permit, read the following requirements and complete the application below. When possible we ask for two business days to process your permit application. A site map of the tent location and a flame resistant certificate for the applicable tent must be provided with your application along with all appropriate fees before your permit will be issued.
- Any tent- or air-supported membrane structure in excess of 400 square feet requires this permit. Any canopy in excess of 700 square feet must also be permitted, according to the International Fire Code.
- The cost for a permit is $50.
- May not be in place for more than 180 days.
- Membrane structures shall be 20’ from any internal combustion engines including generators.
- Membrane structures shall not be placed in areas that prevent Fire Department access and shall not be located within 20’ of lot lines, buildings, other tent or membrane structures, parked vehicles or internal combustion engines. Support ropes and guy wires shall be considered as part of the temporary membrane structure or tent.
- All tents, canopies, and temporary membrane structures must be flame retardant or treated with an approved flame retardant. Floor coverings and other decorative materials must be flame retardant or treated with an approved flame-retardant material. Hay, straw or similar material is prohibited inside.
- Copy of flame retardant material certification must be on file with the Fire Marshal’s office.
- 2A:10BC rated fire extinguishers are required for all permitted tents, canopies and temporary membrane structures. Extinguishers are required to be secured between 4” and 60”. Extinguisher signage is required to be “conspicuous”.
- Exits need to be provided so that all occupants are within 100’ or less from an exit. The number of exits shall be in accordance with the International Fire Code, Table 3103.12.2.
- Exits shall not be obstructed in any manner including trip hazards.
- Exit signs shall be provided at all exits in an enclosed tent or membrane structure.
- Exit signs and means of egress shall be illuminated when the tent or temporary membrane structure is occupied.
- Fireworks, open flames, and devices capable of igniting combustible materials shall not be used inside a tent, canopy, or temporary membrane structure. Portable heaters shall not have their flame source inside the tent, canopy, or temporary membrane structure.
- Propane cylinders shall not be within 10’ of the tent, canopy, or temporary membrane structure.
- PFA requires a minimum of 72 hour notice for tent permit issuance.
- Additional requirements may be imposed on applicant due to the specific use and types of membrane structure as per Chapter 31 of the International Fire Code and other applicable rules and/or policies of the Poudre Fire Authority.
- This permit shall be posted within the membrane structure for which this permit applies, and shall not be transferable. Any changes in use, occupancy, operation or ownership shall require a new permit.